What is a superfood? What makes it “super?!” Can it shoot spider webs from its wrist? Is it sporting a cape? Do horses wear socks? …Is anybody listening to me??
I am full of questions this morning. And all the answers reside in the science inside the food. So before we get all carried away in the boozy seduction behind the recipe to follow, let’s review why this delicious cocktail has a leg up on your RedBull Vodka, shall we? Blueberries get their juicy vibrant color from anthocyanin, a flavonoid with powerful antioxidant potential. These micronutrients in bloobs attack free radicals that are linked to the development of cancer and also counter the buildup of plaque formation that may cause cardiovascular disease. And contrary to popular belief around my apartment, basil is not just a sad withering pot of dying leaves taking up real estate on my front porch, it’s loaded with vitamin K essential for blood clotting and the eugenol component in the oil is a strong anti-inflammatory.
So you may shrug these ingredients off as simple flavor additions, but the truth is that our bodies love them. I can’t say the same for the champagne, but it is my approach in life to balance a whole lot of healthy with plenty o’ hedonism. Roast up some blueberries and mash some fresh basil for a succulent heat-beating treat. Summer is ending, drink up friends.
Sparkling Superfood Sangria
- 1 bottle of Sparkling wine
- ~1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 2-2 1/2 teaspoons raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread blueberries on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes, until berries are plump, soft, n’ juicyyy. Remove and let cool for 10-15 minutes…if you can wait that long 😉
- Place a few leaves of basil, 1/2 teaspoon of honey, and a couple tablespoons of berries in each glass. Muddle gently.
- Top with sparkling wine. Garnish with more basil for fancy pants effect. Drink up AND CHEERS.