IMPORTANT QUESTION?: How does one know that one’s recipe was a finite success?
Step 1: Produce– Make food item.
Step 2: Surrender– Leave aforementioned food item on the countertop for curious and slightly h-angry boyfriend to cruise passed.
Step 3: Linger– Wait 15 minutes.
Step 4: Evaluate– If food item is greater than or equal to 3/4 missing, victory is yours.
I am elated that this ‘nana bread recipe passed the test. More than once. The secret is in the brown butter; if you’ve never experimented with making a baked good with brown butter, I am pretty sure it’s the dairy equivalent of gold. It’s sweet, toasty, decadent flavor is pure perfection…like, brown butter, will you marry me? I don’t have enough money for a fancy ring (blame the whole grad school thing I’ve got goin’ on right now) but god dammit, I will get down on one knee and I promise to make you the happiest chunk of churned edible fatty substance there ever was. So….is….is that a yes?…..
Although this fluffy golden gluten-free loaf is far from being vegan, according to my banana-bread-loving-boyfriend who was desperately trying to help me justify this recipe, it’s got like “all of the fruit servings you need in one day”. SO THERE. And bake it on a Sunday, when the only other thing you have to do is sit in your apartment, remininse on the weekend, and be sad.
You only live once, after all. Make it count.
Brown Butter Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 T chia seeds
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brown butter, separated (directions on how to make brown butter are below)
- 4 very ripe bananas (mashed with a fork) + 1 whole banana for decorating
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- coconut oil for greasing the baking dish + a little bit of rice flour for dusting the baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a medium skillet to medium high heat and add in the butter. Stir the butta’ ’till it be melted. Continue cooking and stirring until the butter starts to look all foamy. Stirring continuously, cook until the butter takes on a golden brown color and then remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Set aside to cool down for a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together eggs, vanilla, sugar, 4 mashed bananas, and 1/4 cup brown butter.
- In another large bowl, whisk all remaining dry ingredients together (hold the blueberries).
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined (over mixing = tough bread = like, EHW…so don’t get cray). Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour mixture into a greased and floured baking dish. Slice 1 banana lengthwise and place on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until you insert a fork and it comes out clean. When it’ done, spread remaining 1/4 cup brown butter over the top. Serve. Watch the drool, don’t let it hit the bread.