The days are getting longer…and my skin is getting whiter.
What gives?? Could it be perhaps due to the fact that I’m a fresh-off-the-kennel new puppy mami who spends the bulk of my days inside my apartment scrubbing fresh pee off the floor and tossing out stinky pieces of chewed-up dehydrated beef esophagus?!
I know those of you with actual human children are rolling your eyes right now, but the only thing I’ve ever had to nurse is a bad hang over.
But like, I mean, look at her face:
I know, I know. Anywho, I needed something fresh and bright and beautiful and crunchy and delicious and just plain good for me.
This Edamame Summer Salad was the ticket. And it’s the perfect seasonal accomplice when it’s humid AF out and you’re perspiring under the hot sun (or in my case, stuffed inside a one-bedroom on the East side with only one tiny AC unit that sounds like it’s going to implode at the drop of a hat).
Look at these veggies. Hashtag: Veg Porn.
I said Veg, perv.
Protein comes in the form of crunchy, perfectly sweet edamame. And when it comes to kale: please do believe the hype. This leafy superhero packs a serious punch of bone-strengthening vitamin K plus all dat vitamin C you need for important things like boosting your immune system and also like, evading scurvy.
Sliced avo and sesame seeds lend healthy unsaturated fats so they won’t send your LDL (the bad, yucky kind of cholesterol) on an ascending rocket ship. Actually, including a little bit of fat along with your veggies actually helps your body absorb and utilize the phytonutrients in the plants. Siiiiii. Win win.
Edamame Summer Salad
Makes 4 servings
For the salad:
- 3 cups kale, chopped and massaged lightly in a mixing bowl with sea salt using your fingers for ~5 minutes
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups shelled edamame (thawed if frozen)
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 2 T sesame seeds
- Sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
For the Zesty Lime Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 1/2-inch fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 3 T low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- First, whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. You can also put all this sh*t in a food processor and whirl away until smooth. Whatever your salad-fixing heart desires.
- Toss salad ingredients (up until the avocado) together in a large mixing bowl. Top the salad with sliced avo, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and a hearty dash of salt + pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until just combined. Best served immediately.