As a kid, I despised vegetables. If you don’t believe it, just ask my mother– she’ll tell you more than you need to know. At the top of my nutrient-packed shit list? Surprise, surprise- broccoli.
Something about those tiny mutant little trees just made my skin crawl. Maybe it was the fact that they were usually force fed to me steamed without any seasoning (sorry to rat you out, Ma) or perhaps it was the sole fact that broccoli has earned itself the reputation (and rightfully so) for being like, super duper healthy. In which case, that was a “like no thanks” in my younger years.
Nevertheless…broccoli and I made amends several years ago and since then, we’ve been very, very close. Turns out, there are tons of ways to cook up this veggie (no mushy, soggy, steaming involved) like this Creamy Onion Broccoli Mash. In this delish side dish, broccoli gets smashed and whipped with creamy tahini (a la mashed potatoes) and topped with sweet + sour pearl onions. Behold:
Broccoli (along with Brussles sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale) is a cruciferous vegetable AKA the cancer ass-kicking ninjas of the vegetable kingdom. They contain super potent sulfur-containing chemicals called glucosinolates which form indoles, nitriles, thiocyanates, and other compounds with powerful anticancer effects. Research has found positive correlations between high cruciferous vegetable intake and lower risk of a variety of cancers. Points for brocc. And double points for this tasty bowl o’ greens.
Having a smashing week, lovelies.
Creamy Onion Broccoli Smash
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 2 cups vegetable broth + 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup water
- 6-7 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar (can also use honey)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- First bust out a medium-large pot and add 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. Add in the broccoli florets and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain broccoli and add in 2 cloves of minced garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Mash with a potato masher and set aside.
- While broccoli is going, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the pearl onions and stir, cooking for about 10 minutes until they begin to brown. Once you start seeing them brown, add in 2 cloves of the minced garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add in remaining 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, sherry vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste, and then sprinkle with thyme.
- Serve onions over broccoli smash and enjoy dem veggies <3