Things just got weird.
I’m talking funky-ass-kimchi-mixed-with-honey-whipped-up-with-almond-milk-slathered-over-fruit-and-fennel-weird. If you’re doubting that this salad and it’s dressing is not as kickass as I make it out to be, whip out that pencil box cuz you about to get schooled.
This salad (do we even have to call it that?? How blasé) is every bit as delightfully and deliciously bizarre as it sounds.
What is kimchi, anyway? Who is Kim and what is she doing messing with your chi?
The answer, my friends, is whisked right into this ridiculously vibrant orange jar. A GIANT container of kimchi, a tangy Korean superfood, showed up in my refrigerator when my friend’s mom made extra and decided we needed to sample the surplus (shout out to all the moms out there- not all superheroes wear capes).
This fabulously fermented food is packed with beneficial gut-boosting bacteria which research has shown may counteract inflammation, strengthen your immune system, and even impact your weight.
Next step: making my own kimchi.
Combined with other antioxidant-rich fruits, fiber-licious veggies, and the plant-based protein in almonds, this “salad” is a force to be reckoned with. The colors and the flavor combos will make you wonder why you stuck to Caesar salads for oh so painfully long. It’s time to brighten things up.
This week has been rough (and it’s not even over, yet). Take the time to gather around the table, share a slice of your day, and let the people you care about know you treasure them. <3
Stone Fruit Fennel Salad + Kimchi Dressing
Makes: 2 servings
For the Kimchi Almond Ginger dressing:
- 1 large carrot, chopped coarsely
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3 tablespoons kimchi, chopped coarsely
- 1″ knob of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon thai chili pepper, minced (can also use serrano or jalapeno) *omit if no spiciness is desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 endive, bases trimmed and leaves pulled off the head
- 1/4 small bulb fennel, sliced thinly
- 2 plums, sliced thinly
- 1 kiwi, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted almonds, chopped
- To make the dressing, place the carrots in a food processor and pulse until finely shredded. Next, add all remaining ingredients and process on low until smooth and creamy. Add more salt and pepper if ya want, or more chili if ya feelin’ frisky. Set aside. You can keep the dressing in the refrigerator for a week.
- For the salad, layer half of each ingredient onto a plate in the order listed and repeat for the second serving. Drizzle with Kimchi Almond Ginger dressing and stick a fork in it.