Starting here and now, you have my official blessing to flip your sad desk lunch the bird.
Pretty sure it’s like 99.9% impossible to be somber digging into a bowl THIS sexy:
Since our beloved bright summer produce is in full-bear hibernation, I’m taking total advantage of the colorful winter fruits and vegetables that are scattered throughout the farmers market.
Juicy naval oranges and ruby grapefruits are sliced into rounds and tossed with crunchy pistchios and peppery arugula. The whole plate gets drizzled with a delectably sweet but sensationally tart honey, lemon, and mint vinaigrette. If you’re wanting to toss a protein onto this bad boy to make it a complete meal, may I suggest a firm white fish such as grilled cod, halibut, or barramundi? Can’t lose with those.
I find people to be totally divided when it comes to the consumption of grapefruit. Like, Paris vs Nicole divided. If you find yourself leaning towards the “hell no” camp, let me attempt to sway your opinion. #teamgrapefruit
Tomatoes always hog the spotlight when it comes to lycopene *eye roll* but ruby grapefruits contain considerable levels as well. Research shows this carotenoid phytonutrient may have potent cancer-fighting qualities! Along with lycopene, these fruits are vitamin C and antioxidant powerhouses, helping to boost our immune systems and destroy free radicals.
Dig into this juicy plate of nutritional gems and I can promise you this: you won’t regret a thang.
Winter Citrus & Mint Salad
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 naval oranges
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 8 handfuls fresh arugula
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced very thinly
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- Fresh mint leaves
For the Honey Vinaigrette dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- juice from 1/2 small lemon (~1 tablespoon juice)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Start by peeling the oranges and grapefruit. But wait! Don’t just use your fingers to do this- do it the profesh way. Slice the bottom and top off each fruit and using a sharp paring knife, slowly work your way from top to bottom to slice off the peel. Go deep enough so that you take all that white pith with you, but not deep enough to turn the orange or grapefruit into shapeless mush. Keep it balanced, yo. When all the peel and pith are gone, turn over each fruit and slice into thin rounds aka “wheels.”
- Arrange about 2 handfuls of arugula on each plate. Top with orange and grapefruit wheels, onion, fennel, and pistachios. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together. Drizzle dressing over the salad and ssssserve.