Why yes, yes I do recognize it’s been a wee bit quiet over here lately.
There is a reason for that.
GUESS WHAT?! We did it! It’s officially official- Burrito Lover and I are married.
After the whirlwind of not one, not two, but three wedding celebrations, we’re trying our best to decompress a bit and lay low. We had the time of our lives with all of our close friends and family in Arlington, Spain, and Bodega Bay…but tbh we just need to Netflix and chill for the next several years. WEEKS! I mean weeks.
Instead of hyperfocusing on all of the things I need to get done right now after all that traveling/planning/running around like a mad woman (like putting up a blog post) I really just want to get this recipe out into the world.
These summer scones are so incredibly perfect, I almost feel a little guilty hoarding the recipe and keeping it prisoner on my iPad. The plump blackberries from our local farmers market are sugary sweet but still maintain that teeny tiny bit of tartness that blends in beautifully with the creamy homemade mascarpone. The coarse sugar piggybacking on the top of the scone finishes each bite off with the perfect delectable little “crunch.” Shit. I should have doubled the recipe.
Anywho, I would love to write a bit more. But right now, all I really need to be doing is putting my feet up and relaxing.
Cheers to my first attempt at making fresh cheese, salivating over juicy bright summer berries, and taking time for myself and no body else.
Blackberry Mascarpone Scones
Makes: 8 scones & about 1 cup fresh mascarpone cheese
For the mascarpone (make this first):
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, slowly bring the heavy cream to a low simmer. Let simmer 3 minutes, then stir in lemon juice and let simmer another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and then let cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a cheese cloth and place the cheese cloth over a strainer on top of a medium size bowl. Stick in the refrigerator overnight and let the whey drain out. In the AM, after you’ve got a cup of coffee or two in ya, check it out. YOU MADE MASCARPONE CHEESE!
For the scones (make these second):
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 lb fresh blackberries, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup fresh mascarpone (see recipe above)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse sugar for garnish (I used turbinado sugar)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, sea salt, and nutmeg in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chopped blackberries, fresh mascarpone, and lemon juice until a sticky dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a large disc. Slice into quarters, then slice the quarters in half to end up with 8 triangle slices. Sprinkle with a bit of flour and some coarse sugar.
- Bake 18-22 minutes. Remove from oven when scones are puffy and slightly golden brown. Give another dusting with coarse sugar and serve. These are delish with coffee, tea, ice cream, or just completely on their own beause they are Just. That. Damn. Good.